Friday, March 14, 2008

water is cheap

Seattle stops buying bottled water. I've always wondered why water coolers were such a mainstay of office employment; everyplace I've ever worked has provided them. Given that there is potable municipal water available from the tap, why is what little money that is set aside for employee perks is used to pay for water deliveries? I'd prefer doughnuts once a week myself, but to be inclusive of those people who actually care about their health, they could instead deliver fresh fruit.

(My favorite random perk was the monthly-ish catered lunch at PRA. I realize now that they could well afford that because they were underpaying all of us. But it both encouraged employee bonding and made us think well of management, all for around $20/ head. Good deal.)

No comments: